Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sonora Desert Museum







This morning I crawled out of bed at the horrible hour of 5.30am, to get to the Desert Museum before it got too hot. Once the heat sets in, a lot of the animals in this wonderful outdoor "zoo" hide in the shade and sleep.
This time, although the mountain lion was nowhere to be seen, I did see the bobcats (such big ears!) and the coyote. The otters, as usual, were having a marvelous time in the water, the beaver was chewing determinedly on his piece of wood and the humming birds whirred around us like large, fast-moving moths, so close we could feel the wind from their tiny wings.
Even the snakes were moving around. In the walk-through bird aviary, the birds came close for great photos, and the mice ran around stealing bird food. In one corner we saw a snake that had nabbed a mouse for breakfast.
I did see a rabbit in the distance, but whether it was a jack rabbit with those amazing huge ears or not, I couldn't tell.



2 comments:

Tracey said...

Lucky they didn't have a walk through snake er "aviary" or they'd never get you out, right?

Anonymous said...

Great photos. The Sonora Desert Museum is definitely on my list of things to see next time I go to the US. (Which may be some way off yet, so I'll live vicariously through your blog.)