Saturday, May 10, 2008

New Syndrome reported

In the Age newspaper this weekend came the information about a new syndrome, and I believe I am suffering from it. It's LLHCS - Late Life Holden Caulfield Syndrome, recently discovered by Michael Leunig, writer and columnist. He named it after Holden in The Catcher in the Rye, a character who "saw clearly the world's phoniness and despaired because people always applaud the wrong things."

Leunig also says that along with this syndrome, as he gets older, his bulls*** detector just seems to get stronger and stronger. This could be a curse or a blessing. I'm with him there. My tolerance for BS at work is getting lower and lower which, when you work inside what amounts to a bureaucracy, is not a good thing! As for the rest of my life, no doubt my friends would say, "That's not news to us!!"

On the other hand, George Clooney observed that this may finally be the time in US history where young people are going to stand up and vote at last, and have a say in who runs their country. I guess it might all come down to their BS detectors too. Have they got them turned on to full power yet?

No comments: